Please find below the services I provide and the information required for jobs in each of these areas. If you have any questions or require services not listed here, please get in touch with me to assess the available options.
Please note that I do not offer any interpreting services.
Translation is the rendering of a written or otherwise recorded text from one language into another. Ideally, the text is not simply translated word for word or even literally, but rather adapted in style and language to sound natural and fluent. Cultural norms and conventions may also require modifications to ensure that the translation can fulfill its purpose with the target audience. This process of tailoring a translation to a specific, often geographically defined group of people is called localization. There is also an inverse process called internationalization in which all regional or culture‐specific features are removed from a text to make it appealing to as many people as possible. As a qualified translator, I am well‐versed in both techniques and can apply them according to the customer's needs.
I work with state‐of‐the‐art equipment in both hardware and software, enabling me to handle a wide variety of file formats from Office files and PDFs to image files for Adobe CS. Depending on your demands and specifications, I work with SDL Trados Studio, MemoQ, WordFast or MetaTexis to integrate your existing translation memories and export my TMs for your use. I also keep an extensive library of field-specific literature, reference works and technical dictionaries for my specializations at hand.
Areas of expertise
- IT & software
- Medical technology
- Mechanical engineering
- Manufacturing engineering
- Tourism, historic buildings, and architecture
- History, literature, and music
Of course, I am always willing to familiarize myself with new topics as needed. This is easier and faster if you can provide me with reference material regarding your requested subject.
In order to evaluate whether I am a good fit for your demands and to prepare a quote, I need the full source text, ideally in an editable format. As it is not easily possible to count the words in non-editable files, I cannot offer binding quotes on such texts. All data provided by you is handled with the utmost confidentiality and will be immediately deleted, should no collaboration be agreed on.
The following information is also required for all translation jobs:
- What is the target language of the translation?
- What is your deadline for the job?
- Do you have specific requirements regarding the format and/or formatting of the translation?
Some other details that are not vital, but helpful:
- Where do you plan to use the translation?
- Who is the intended audience?
- What is the purpose of the translation?
- Are there any special requirements regarding terminology, style, or other aspects, e.g. as part of a corporate identity?
- Who can I contact with questions or issues?
- Can you provide me with any reference materials?
Proofreading and editing
Although the words are often used interchangeably, these are two different services. Proofreading a text means checking for formal language errors, such as misspellings, wrong punctuation, or grammatical issues. After having it proofread, you can be sure that your text is free of linguistic errors. If you are unsure about the general writing in a text or want it to really shine, editing is the way to go. This service includes all parts of proofreading and more: Stylistic improvements, increased comprehensibility, and better readability – from ensuring consistent use of terminology to recommending commonly used idioms and phrases of the target audience, I will make certain that your text reaches its full potential.
Please note that neither proofreading nor editing involve checking the factual correctness of your text.
- The full text in an editable file or PDF.
- What is your deadline for proofreading/editing?
- For English texts: Are you going for British or US English?
- Are there any special demands, e.g. following a styleguide or focusing on a specific issue?
English language teaching
Since you chose to read this website in English, you probably do not need English lessons – but who knows, maybe you know someone who is looking for a teacher? Or you have encountered issues with your coworkers' or subordinates' language skills and would like to organize a refresher course within your company? As a qualified ESL and EFL instructor, I offer English language teaching for all levels of proficiency, with content and methods geared specifically towards each groups' or individual student's needs. Whether you are looking to improve in one of the four skills (speaking, listening, writing, and reading) or to brush up on some technical vocabulary for your field, I am more than happy to work with you for optimal results.
I can teach on-site within a 50 km radius of Lindau on Lake Constance, and I offer online training sessions via Skype or similar software, enhanced by online resources and tests. So, near, far, wherever you are – do not hesitate to reach out and discuss your requirements with me.
- Requested date and time
- Number of lessons requested
- Estimated number of participants
- Participants' proficiency (please note that significantly different proficiency levels make teaching difficult and more time-consuming)
- Requested skills, topics, or priorities
- Available technology (projector, whiteboard, flip chart, etc.)